Dr. Afzal Javed is a president, The World Psychiatric Association. He also holds the honorary position of Chairman Pakistan Psychiatric Research Centre, Fountain House, Lahore (Pakistan).
He graduated from King Edward Medical College Lahore, Pakistan and received higher specialised training in Psychiatry from Pakistan and UK (from Royal Edinburgh Hospital, University of Edinburgh, and Institute of Psychiatry & Maudsley Hospital London).
He has served the UK Royal College of Psychiatrists as Deputy / Associate Registrar, member Board of International Affairs of the College, Chairman of West Midlands Division of the College & one of the lead College office bearers for SAS doctors & Patients & Carers groups. He was also elected as executive committee member of the College Faculty of Rehabilitation and Social Psychiatry & represents the faculty at Education and Training Committee of the College.
His role in international psychiatry is highlighted by his involvement with several professional organisations.
• President World Psychiatric Association (WPA)
• Immediate Past President Asian Federation of Psychiatric Associations (AFPA)
• Past President World Association for Psychosocial Rehabilitation (WAPR)
• Immediate Past Executive Secretary for Scientific Sections World Psychiatric Association (WPA)
• Advisor & Founder Secretary General of South Asian Forum on Mental Health & Psychiatry (SAF)
• Advisor SAARC Psychiatric Federation (SPF)
• Founding Secretary General Asian Federation of Psychiatric Associations (AFPA)
• Immediate Past Co Chairman / Founder office Bearers WPA Section on Psychiatry in Developing
• Chairman Pakistan Psychiatric Research Centre, Fountain House, Lahore, Pakistan
His areas of special interest are Psychosocial Rehabilitation, Social and Transcultural Psychiatry and Psychiatric Research. His academic skills have been invaluable when publishing more than 145 scientific papers and being author of six books/monographs on different topics of psychiatry. He is currently involved in several projects on Schizophrenia and different clinical aspects of long-term management of chronic mentally ill in the community.